Our free in-person SmartMoney Workshops cover various financial topics and provide individuals with the fundamentals of budgeting, managing money, getting out of debt, understanding credit, paying for college, and much more.
- Learn common terms related to financial institutions and types of accounts
- Compare different types of bank accounts, and the risks and benefits associated with each option
- Learn key ways to protect financial accounts and personal information
- Explore the importance of creating and maintaining a budget
- Examine the differences between wants and needs
- Set goals for spending, saving, and debt repayment
- Explore the importance of credit scores and reports
- Learn how to access information about credit scores and reports
- Discuss strategies to build and improve credit
- Identify how to protect credit from incorrect claims and fraud
- Learn how to identify the signs of identity theft and fraud
- Examine different types of identity theft and fraud
- Identify strategies to protect yourself
- Review the laws and regulations that protect consumers from identity theft and fraud
- Review the costs and responsibilities associated with home ownership
- Explore the loan and repayment process
- Learn how to find out if you are financially ready to own a home
- Learn about common types of mortgages and how they are obtained
- Identify common costs associated with mortgages
- Explore special financing products and resources to assist with buying a home
- Define common terms associated with mortgages and late payments
- Identify the events that may cause foreclosure, and how to avoid them
- Learn about the options and resources available to help modify a mortgage if needed
- Examine the factors to consider when planning for retirement
- Learn how to estimate retirement expenses
- Identify saving and planning strategies to maximize savings at any age
- Compare the types of retirement plans that are available
- Set goals for retirement savings
- Identify the importance of developing a strong business plan
- Explore the ways to use a business plan
- Review the key parts of a business plan
- Learn how small businesses build and maintain credit
- Explore how creditworthiness is measured for small businesses
- Examine the connection between personal and business credit
- Identify the documents needed for small business credit applications
- Identify common financial products and services used by small businesses
- Consider the important factors when choosing a financial institution
- Explore the value of building a relationship with a financial institution
- Understand the importance of financial statements for small business operations and strategy
- Learn about the uses of different financial statements
- Analyze the information found in balance sheets, profit and loss statements, and cash flow statements.
See What Others are Saying:
For the 2nd year in a row you have delivered a charismatic and engaging message about Identity Theft and each time my students tell me how much they enjoy it. Making Financial Literacy lessons interesting to teenagers can be a challenge, but your ability to add humor and relevant anecdotes to illustrate your points is refreshing.
The Rapid Press team appreciates the opportunity to partner with the FCCU Foundation in providing our employees free financial literacy workshops. We would like to thank First Commerce Credit Union and the FCCU Foundation for everything they do for us and this community.
The SmartMoney workshop was informative and well presented. I enjoyed the practical advice and real world, thought provoking exercises. I’m looking forward to more workshops.
The Woodleaf team was genuinely happy about investing their time and requested that we do follow up sessions to expand their financial knowledge. I highly recommend the FCCU Foundation’s training to any group eager to learn essential skills for managing money and credit.
Their presentations exceeded my expectations. Thank you for being a part of my Social Work program.
“FCCU Foundation did an amazing job relating to our high school students and engaging them in discussions about budgeting and financing. The activities were relevant and the students had to really think through and process priorities and how to budget for real-world situations. I was very impressed and would recommend this workshop to other organizations!”